One of the most common problems that almost all people have encountered is fungus on the toes. Such a prevalence of the disease is due to the fact that you can get infected anywhere, regularly visiting the gym, swimming pool or walking barefoot on the ground or grass. In this case, it does not matter whether a person adheres to the rules of personal hygiene or not.
Like other diseases, this infection requires adequate and timely treatment. If you ignore this recommendation, the disease will progress, the symptoms will begin to appear more intense, and the skin will become thin and covered with small but painful cracks.
What is a fungus and how does infection occur?
Toe fungus or mycosis is an infectious disease. Such skin lesions are also called dermatomycosis. In total, there are a very large number of bacteria in nature, but not all of them can cause problems for human health. Mycosis is one of the most common diseases and ranks second after purulent pathologies, namely boils, streptoderma, carbuncles and staphyloderma.
As for the groups of fungi that affect the skin of the legs, they are divided into 3 groups, namely:
- Candida. It belongs to the group of yeast-like fungi.
- Zooanthropophile. Infection can occur from both an animal and a person.
- Anthropophile. In this case, you can only get infected by other people.
How does the fungus on the toes manifest itself?
The first symptoms of toenail fungus have vague characteristics, so it is very difficult to recognize the disease from the first days of infection. Sometimes people don't go to the doctor right away, not because they don't want to, but because they don't understand what situation they are in. In order not to get into such situations, doctors always recommend, even with the smallest symptoms, to seek help. In this case, the patient will be spared the problem as quickly as possible.
The main signs of a toe infection are:
- spots of a yellowish tint and seals on the skin;
- increased sweating;
- the spaces between the fingers begin to hurt and itch;
- spots and exfoliation of the skin appear in the places of localization of the infection.
The intensity of the symptoms may also depend on the form of the disease, scaly or intertrigous. In the second case, the person will suffer from swelling of the legs, redness and constant humidity in the places affected by the infection. This form is characterized by the localization between the last 4 fingers.
With a scaly form of pathology, white crusts appear on the legs, peeling and an increase in the drawing of the skin lines. In the first days after infection, the patient feels burning and itching. If treatment is absent, the symptoms will be complemented by an unusual sheen of the skin of the legs and peeling of small gray or white flakes.
How to treat toe fungus?
Nowadays, the patient can choose a variety of drugs that are equally effective in fighting the fungus between the toes. To get rid of the disease as quickly as possible, doctors recommend the use of complex therapy, which includes the following measures:
- Taking pills.
- The use of immunostimulants and vitamin complexes.
- Gels and creams.
Note!Almost all drugs are highly effective, but that does not mean that the treatment period will be short. Depending on the state of the protective functions of the body, the patient will have to fight the fungus for at least 1 month.
Effective drugs for the treatment of foot fungus
Fungus on the feet is usually treated with paints, gels or tablets. The most suitable drug will be selected by a specialist.
How is foot fungus treated with folk remedies?
Along with the drug treatment of the fungus on the toes, experts recommend using alternative therapy, but when using any remedies, you need to consult a doctor. This will avoid allergies and other adverse reactions.
Traditional healers are advised to pay attention to the following methods:
- Using apple cider vinegar. This is necessary for the "acidification" of the body. Regardless of food intake, vinegar is dissolved in a glass of water and drunk 1 time per day.
- Foot baths. In this case, it is worth pouring 9% vinegar into the basin in such an amount that it covers the foot. The liquid should be slightly warm. The procedure lasts no more than 15 minutes.
- Vinegar and vegetable oil. From these two components for the treatment of foot fungus, it is necessary to prepare an ointment, in a ratio of 1 to 1. It covers the affected areas overnight. To enhance the effect on the leg, it is worth wearing a sock.
Effects of fungal infections on the toes
If you do not deal with the treatment of the fungus on the legs, this can provoke the following deviations:
- when the fungus remains on the fingers for a long time, it can cause increased sensitivity to other types of fungi, and also affect the development of bronchial asthma, allergic dermatitis or other skin diseases;
- mycosis of the thumb can affect the development of diabetes mellitus or gangrene;
- if there is no treatment, the infection can spread throughout the body and affect internal organs, in which case the patient will have to undergo prolonged and more complex therapy. It does not matter if it is fungus on the little finger or on the other fingers.
How to avoid mycosis reinfection after treatment?
To prevent the fungus on the toes from showing up anymore, you must adhere to all precautionary rules, which include the following:
- Use of rubber slippers when visiting the swimming pool or public shower.
- Respect for personal hygiene.
- Taking vitamin complexes to improve the protective functions of the body.
- Feet should be washed every day before going to bed.
- You can't wear someone else's shoes.
- Good nutrition and an active lifestyle.
- In special cases, it is advisable to have removable and wider shoes.
- Don't use other people's hygiene items and don't give yours to anyone.
- Don't wear dirty socks.
- For preventive purposes, use foot baths.
Antifungal treatment of shoes
A special product can be used to treat footwear against fungus on the skin of the toes. It will not only help get rid of the infection, but it will also get rid of the unpleasant smell and rid your shoes of yeast and dermatitis.
After the infection has been cured, the shoes can be treated with an antiseptic. You can buy it at the pharmacy, the tool will allow you to clean shoes not only from fungus, but also from other bacteria, which pose a danger to human health.